Friday, November 5, 2010

Steak with Roasted Carrots and Onions

B ack in the day, when I was Livin' La Vida Low Carb, I ate a LOT of steak. Now that its no longer 2004, I seem to have lost my fauxhawk, all my pink shirts, and my Kelly Clarkson "Breakaway" CD. I also seem to have lost interest in beef, at least to some degree. I think my steady, steaky diet pushed me over the edge toward beef overload. Needless to say, after years of not cooking it for myself, it was a nice change to dig in to a steak with a *fantastic* mustard pan sauce.

FRIDAY:



Steak with Roasted Carrots and Onions

Serves 4 (I quartered the recipe for a single serving)

Hands-on Time: 30m

Total Time: 30m

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds medium carrots, halved crosswise, thick pieces halved lengthwise
* 2 small red onions, quartered, stem ends left intact
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* kosher salt and black pepper
* 4 small Newport or sirloin steaks (1 inch thick; about 1 1/2 pounds total)
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

Directions

1. Heat oven to 425° F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots, onions, 2 tablespoons of the oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

2. Roast the vegetables, tossing once, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

4. Season the steaks with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to plates.

5. Add the wine to the skillet and whisk in the mustard. Simmer until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.

6. Stir in the tarragon. Serve the steaks with the sauce, carrots, and onions.

Tip

Try these roasted vegetables with lamb chops or roasted chicken.

Nutritional Information

Calories 392; Fat 17g; Sat Fat 4g; Cholesterol 63mg; Sodium 837mg; Protein 35g; Carbohydrate 19g; Sugar 9g; Fiber 5g; Iron 3mg; Calcium 88mg

2 comments:

  1. Was this before or after you were living life as a veggie? I do remember the first time I became aware of your carnivorous self- you ordered a steak! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? I like a dramatic reveal.

    After 4 years of life on the veg, I was actually only omnivorous for about 6 months before diving into Atkins, which lasted about a year and a half.

    ReplyDelete