Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Peanut Butter Brownies



L ately I've been bombarded with desperate "needs" for chocolate - let's call it a medical miracle, shall we? While I try to make healthier choices when it comes to food, sometimes I find it much more sane to just accept that I like brownies - a lot. Especially when they're slathered with peanut butter icing and robed in chocolate glaze.

Also, while I'm confessing my culinary sins, I want to clear the air about convenience items. You've seen my time-honored brownie recipe, Good Friends - you know how amazing they taste. However, I don't always have the time/energy/patience to make everything from scratch. Therefore, today's "Done" is more about the end than the means.

Peanut Butter Brownies
1 pan of prepared brownies (from a mix, if you must - fudgy is better than cakey for this recipe)
Icing
1/4 lb butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 C peanut butter (I like smooth, but chunky works just fine)
3 C sifted confectioners sugar
3 T milk
Glaze
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T vegetable shortening

Combine icing ingredients in a large mixing bowl, microwaving if needed to soften cream cheese and peanut butter. Whip using electric mixer just until combined and smooth. Spread over cooled brownies; refrigerate. Meanwhile, microwave chocolate and shortening in a small bowl, stir. Spread glaze over peanut butter icing. Return to refrigerator until glaze is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment