Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rhubarb Crisp

Oatmeal loves company, particularly when I have an entire winter to get through without the same breakfast every morning getting too boring. Also, I'm pretty brave when it comes to trying new things. Why, then, did I think adding frozen rhubarb to my oatmeal would come out just like rhubarb crisp? Let me tell you, good friends, the outcome was still-frozen rhubarb in undercooked oatmeal, tasting tart and crunchy. After suffering through several bites of the mess, I was also feeling tart and crunchy. So, with the leftover fruit, I vowed to make it right. Here's how:





Rhubarb Crisp
2 lbs frozen, chopped rhubarb, thawed and drained
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 C quick oats
1/3 C packed brown sugar
1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 t ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine rhubarb with 1/4 C of flour and granulated sugar, transfer to a buttered shallow baking pan; I used a 9"x9". In a separate bowl, combine remaining flour and ingredients, stir until butter is distributed and flour is incorporated. Sprinkle oat mixture onto fruit, bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. Serve a la mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment