Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hot Chocolate

A fter 90 minutes of shoveling my car out of its 3 ft (.9144 meter) snow drift prison, I was feelin' old school Chilly Willy: I was frozen through and through. I needed to come inside to a bubble bath, the December issue of Martha Stewart, and Amanda's excellent vintage Christmas music playlist. But what to drink? I had never made hot chocolate from scratch, so I looked around the Google for some recipes. There are 81 billion variations out there, but I just wanted plain sweet, hot yumminess. The result? Awesome.



1/3 C cocoa powder
1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C granulated sugar
pinch salt
3 C skim milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 C fat-free half and half

In medium pot over medium heat combine cocoa with boiling water until cocoa dissolves. Add sugar and salt, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture bubbles. Add milk, increasing heat to medium high. Heat until steaming, but not yet boiling. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into four cups and top with fat-free half and half.

If you REALLY need to warm up, you could add a shot of Kahlua or Baileys. Not to say I did (it was perfect!), but you certainly could.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so good! What is on Amanda's vintage playlist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jamie: Its what we were rockin' out to during brunch : ) Doesn't the link to her blog post work? Hrmm...

    Here's the list:

    Sleigh Ride – Ella Fitzgerald
    Baby, Its Cold Outside – Doris Day & Bing Crosby
    Winter Wonderland – Peggy Lee
    Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
    It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas – Perry Como/The Fontane Sisters
    Jingle Bells – Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters
    The Christmas Waltz – Frank Sinatra
    I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas – The Drifters
    Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! – Lena Horne
    We Need A Little Christmas – Percy Faith
    Silver Bells – Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Judy Garland
    A Marshmallow World – Dean Martin
    There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays – Perry Como
    White Christmas – Bing Crosby
    I’ll Be Home For Christmas – Frank Sinatra
    Happy Holiday – Bing Crosby
    I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm – Dean Martin
    The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole

    ReplyDelete