Monday, December 20, 2010

Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce

C rock pot fun times abound when it gets dark at 4:30 pm and its cold around the clock. Knowing I had this deliciousness awaiting me made 4:30 seem like an eternity away. This is a fancy enough dish to wow dinner guests, and easy enough to prepare the night before. Win and win - thanks to Lindsay for turning me on to this stunner!

FYI - I served the ribs with roasted carrots (as seen here) and asparagus topped with shredded parmesan, along with rice I whipped up in my rice cooker along with some chicken stock. Seriously, good friends, I'm addicted to the stuff - any way I can substitute stock in place of water, I go for it. I definitely recommend making your own stock from scratch if you've never tried it!




Lacquered Short Ribs with Spicy Ginger Sauce

(from Cuisine at Home, Slow Cooker Menus)


For the short ribs:

3 lbs. short ribs, seasoned with salt and pepper

1 T. olive oil



For the spicy ginger sauce:



1/2 cup chopped scallions

1/4 cup minced fresh ginger root

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1/4 Sriracha sauce

1/4 cup molasses or cane syrup

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 tsp fennel seed

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes


Brown ribs in the olive oil over medium-high heat. Work in batches and don't crowd the ribs. Transfer the ribs to your crock pot.

Combine the scallions, ginger root, brown sugar, Sriracha sauce, molasses or syrup, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fennel seed and pepper flakes. Pour the sauce over the ribs. Cover and cook on high for about five hours or low for 8 hours.


Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment