Monday, December 13, 2010

Tater Tot Hotdish: By Request

B lizzardy weekends require proper planning on the last-ditch grocery store front, and making my plans easier, Lindsay requested my tater tot hotdish recipe last week. Since everyone else in the metro had the same idea to rush for essentials before the 17" snow dump, I picked up the handful of ingredients in what amounted to a no-holds barred supermarket brawl. Thankfully, the results were well worth the efforts.



Tater Tot Hot Dish

1 T vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs 99% fat free ground turkey breast (can substitute any other ground meat)
2 C frozen kernel corn
2 cans 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup
skim milk
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
2 lb frozen tater tots

Preheat oven to 350 F. Sautee diced onion in oil on medium-low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Evenly distribute salt and pepper across bottom of glass 9x13 casserole. Crumble ground turkey evenly throughout casserole, breaking up chunks as small as possible. Sprinkle onion across turkey, followed by a single layer of corn. Combine soup with 1/2 soup can of milk, pour into casserole and spread evenly over mixture. Top with shredded cheese, then arrange tots in neat rows throughout. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, removing foil and baking another 20 minutes until tots are golden brown. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. You're the second person I know that adds corn! Looks delish- I prefer celery as my veggie add-in, followed second by peas.

    Can't wait to see what else you were able to create during the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Looks awesome and I think I will add peas too. Makes it seem more healthy! I might try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete