Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blueberry Muffins

S ince childhood, I've wondered why fruit-flavored foods taste so different than their namesakes. Admittedly, recreating a freshly picked fruit's true taste, texture, and aroma in chemical form is impossible, but why have we as consumers meekly accepted the fruit flavorings food manufacturers have been feeding us for years?



That said, I think blueberries (the real things, mind you) could easily brighten even my dullest, darkest day. I love them. I love their unique color, their plump shape, their slightly tart taste. I like them in salads, on Cheerios, and particularly in baked goods. Today's project features my attempt to make them into muffins.

I followed this recipe, which I'd like to point out contains 16 grams of fat per muffin. I will therefore begin working on a lower fat version for a later post.



And in case you needed any further reminder of why real fruits are always better than artificial flavorings...

1 comment: