Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chunky Salsa



W hen you have fresh tomatoes, I believe you must eat them fresh. Therefore, my chunky salsa certainly satisfies. By controlling the amount of jalapenos added, you decide whether this salsa will be mild or caliente. My version of salsa is cilantro-free (of course), but you can certainly add it if you like.

3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
1/4 C diced pickled jalapeno peppers
3 T juice from pickled jalapenos
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 C diced red onion
1 large garlic clove, minced

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Adjust heat by decreasing (or increasing?) the amount of juice from the jalapenos. I left the seeds in when I chopped the tomatoes, which increased the total liquid in the salsa.

Makes 2-3 cups.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if we could can salsa? Might be a project worth doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canning is certainly something I'd like to try. I see no reason why salsa wouldn't work - fun experiment!

    ReplyDelete