Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home Sew: Tailoring Short Sleeves

J ust because a shirt is the exact style I love, with deliciously soft fabric in a print that sparkles, with pearly snaps and a birthdate before my own, doesn't guarantee it will fit correctly. Or, more accurately, fit modernly. I love this blue and yellow cowboy number from the 70s, complete with a shiny silver stripe. I don't love the too-long short sleeves. So, inspired by my fashion redux hero Marisa...



...I decided to use this as my very first tailoring job. I started with my seam ripper and took out the hem of both sleeves.



Wearing the shirt inside out, I pinned them at the updated length. Before, left and after, right.



I them pressed and stitched a 1/4" edge, then folded over a new 1" hem. Here's the new look:



The shirt is still too big. At this weight, I'm hesitant to take it in, as I'd love to lose 80 lbs, but I've got no expectation this will happen. Ever. But, this was a really fun exercise in tailoring which has always been scary. Shortening some short sleeves? Not so bad.

1 comment: