Monday, August 9, 2010

Chicken Korma


Your kitchen deserves to smell this good. Chicken korma, with its luscious spicy tomato sauce, gets a full flavor saturation from sauteed aromatic spices creating a richly tasty infused oil. Mixed with steamed rice, this dish epitomizes comfort food in a sophisticated, satisfying way.



2 T vegetable oil
4 cinnamon sticks
20 whole cloves
20 cardamom pods
1 large clove garlic, diced
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 t kosher salt
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t ground cumin
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 c milk (whatever's in the fridge)




Heat oil in sautee pan on medium low heat. Add cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom and cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, dice garlic, slice onions, and chop chicken into small cubes. Remove spices and allow to cool before discarding. Raise heat to medium and add onion and garlic, cooking until tender. Add chicken, salt, red pepper flakes and cumin; stir occasionally until chicken is cooked through. Add tomato sauce and cook for 10 minutes. Add milk and boil until sauce thickens. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Drew but I think you need a screen on this or turn the heat down!!! Sal would kill me if I made that mess on my stove (he is a NEAT freak-which kills some of my creative moods in the kitchen!) Looks intresting but I am a little nervous about the seasonings and if we would like it! I might have to wait to just have you make it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dish is a cautionary tale, indeed. This is what I get for walking away from the stove to type the recipe and instructions! But, it was a worthwhile mess to clean up. Someday I'll own a pan with a lid.

    Hopefully Sal likes to help clean rather than just protest your potential messes :)

    ReplyDelete